The original poured-in-place concrete warehouse in downtown Austin was basically a three-level concrete shell and a prime example of the buildings that once populated the neighborhood. It lacked fire stairs, elevators, or any code-compliant utilities. Our goal for the new design was to provide amenities and services for contemporary use while retaining the character of this 1915 building.
Rather than carving out portions of the interior for stairs, elevators, restrooms, and other new items, we created a “service structure” adjoining the building. This structure features open stairs, an articulated steel frame, and clerestory windows that provide natural light to the upper level. This allows an unobstructed floor area to remain large and flexible and creates an expressive pavilion that marks entry to the building.
Architect: Specht Harpman
Contractor: Rizzo Construction
Photography: Taggart Sorenson