The Doyle Hall renovation and the New Classroom Addition at St. Edward’s University creates a green, highly-used public space from what was once an empty lot between two buildings. This courtyard is activated by the presence of a centuries-old live oak tree, a new cafe, and a mix of student and faculty spaces.
The New Classroom Addition takes cues from the adjacent existing 1950’s building with exposed concrete structural bays and straightforward infill panels. The addition creates a physical and visual link between the two existing buildings and brings students into the heart of a courtyard “embraced” by the two parallel wings of faculty offices. We deployed a “stealth architecture” that does not call attention to itself, but works as a fabric binding the existing elements together and allowing them to be seen and used in a completely new way.
Architect: Specht Harpman
Landscape Architect: Sasaki Associates
Contractor: VRW Construction
Photographer: Taggart Sorenson